Canada’s Foreign Minister, Freeland, has crossed the wires saying that she has had a good conversation with Lighthizer on Wednesday.
- Says as long as tariffs remain in place ratification of USMCA would be very problematic.
- Every meeting is a meeting closer to a deal.
- Going to continue to make the case to lift US tariffs.
- Grateful for Mexican compromises on labour in NAFTA.
- U.S. steel tariffs need to be lifted.
Note: This follows reports that Mnuchin said that the U.S. is close to deal with Mexico and Canada on tariffs and is trying to remove tariffs as part of the MCNA deal: