In a joint press conference with Attorney General Cox, British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt argued that the real risk of lawmakers voting against Prime Minister May’s Brexit deal was ending up in a ‘Brexit paralysis.’
Key quotes (via Reuters)
- Hunt: Here are very exhaustive discussions to try to find a breakthrough.
- Hunt: Hoping for a breakthrough this weekend in time for next week’s parliamentary vote.
- Hunt: I would not have expected a breakthrough in talks by now.
- Cox: We will give as much notice as we possibly can before voting on Brexit deal.
- Cox: We are discussing detailed, coherent, careful proposals and text with the EU on the backstop.
- Cox: We remain committed to getting what parliament says it needs for the backstop in Brexit talks.