Fed’s Williams has been crossing the wires today and came with additional comments as follows:
- Arguments for adding policy accommodation have strengthened over time.
- Uncertainties around trade, global growth have not improved.
- Not seeing uncertainties shifting in a positive direction.
- Market expectations of rate cuts are showing up in easier financial conditions.
- Data suggests labour mkts aren’t as tight as he used to believe.
- Says his view of the natural employment rate has been lowered.
- Issues facing fed include uncertainties around us. economy, growth going forward, infl. below goal.
- Carefully watching inflation, including possibility of infl. expectations falling.
- Sees us interest rates as neutral.
Fed Williams earlier comments:
Federal Reserve’s Williams: Growth outlook outside the U.S. has dimmed