French President Emmanuel Macron is addressing the nation and has stated that the herd immunity strategy would mean 400,000 excess deaths in France.
Macron says that the second wave of coronavirus will hit France harder and be deadlier than the first wave.
He has also stated that France will have over 9000 covid patients in ICU by mid-November.
The market was expecting confirmation of four-week national lockdown for which he is currently announcing on television to the nation.
The prime minister, Jean Castex, also met union leaders and opposition parties to justify the need for stricter measures.
Large swathes of France, including Paris, have been placed under a night-time curfew, but officials say this has not been enough to stop the virus.
Bars and restaurants will be closed and so too will non-essenaitla business.
Moving between regions will not be possible.
More to come…
- 28-Oct-2020 13:00:51 – FRENCH PRESIDENT MACRON: NEED NEW MEASURES TO TACKLE COVID
- 28-Oct-2020 13:01:03 – FRENCH PRESIDENT MACRON: COVID CIRCULATING MORE QUICKLY THAN WE HAD FORECAST
- 28-Oct-2020 13:01:24 – FRENCH PRESIDENT MACRON: ALL REGIONS ARE NOW IN HIGH ALERT REGARDING COVID
- 28-Oct-2020 13:02:29 – FRENCH PRESIDENT MACRON: WE HAVE NOT DONE AS WELL AS WE SHOULD HAVE DONE REGARDING COVID
- 28-Oct-2020 13:03:09 – FRENCH PRESIDENT MACRON: WE HAVE BEEN SUBMERGED BY RAPID ACCELERATION OF COVID
- 28-Oct-2020 13:03:43 – FRENCH PRESIDENT MACRON: 2ND WAVE OF COVID LIKELY TO BE WORSE THAN FIRST WAVE
- 28-Oct-2020 13:04:50 – FRENCH PRESIDENT MACRON: TRIAGE OF PATIENTS IN HOSPITALS WOULD BE UNACCEPTABLE
- 28-Oct-2020 13:06:46 – FRENCH PRESIDENT MACRON: NEED TO PROTECT OUT ECONOMY
- 28-Oct-2020 13:06:56 – FRENCH PRESIDENT MACRON: NEED TO PROTECT OUR ECONOMY
- 28-Oct-2020 13:07:58 – FRENCH PRESIDENT MACRON: HERD IMMUNITY STRATEGY WOULD MEAN 400,000 EXCESS DEATHS IN FRANCE
- More to come…
France’s daily change in new covid cases
EUR/USD plunge since France’s Covid surge