Janet Yellen speaks in London. It is her first public appearance since the hawkish hike two weeks ago. Given falling inflation and mixed messages from Fed officials, some were asking: will the Fed really raise rates again?
This is not a prepared speech but rather a conversation. She is speaking on a wide variety of topics: models, banking, etc. There is no direct mention of inflation or the next rate hike at the time of writing.
Nevertheless, EUR/USD continues higher, reaching a new high of 1.1337. From here, the pair is not really going anywhere, just staying around the highs.
Markets have been on the move already earlier.
- USD/JPY advanced despite mixed messages from other Fed officials. The high of the day was 112.45.
- EUR/UDS rose to the highest levels since September last year on some taper talk from Draghi. It made a break above 1.13, reaching a high of 1.1334.
- GBP/UDS was somewhat higher at 1.2780.
- USD/CAD was down to just under 1.32 as oil prices rose.
- AUD/USD was around 0.7580.