Der Spiegel’s website reports that Germany, the US and Egypt are arranging for Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak to fly to Germany for a fictional medical treatment, and from there he’ll announce his retirement from the presidency.
According to the highly regarded German paper, and other sources, Mubarak already left Cairo and is staying in the resort town of Sharem al-Sheikh, at the tip of the Sinai peninsula. From there, he is expected to fly and receive treatment in the German resort town of Baden Baden. Arrangements with the German hospital are in progress, according to this report.
According to information obtained by SPIEGEL ONLINE, plans for a possible hospital stay in Germany are far more concrete than had been assumed so far. Talks are already being held with suitable hospitals, particularly with the Max-Grundig-Klinik Bühlerhöhe in the southwestern town of Bühl near Baden-Baden, SPIEGEL ONLINE has learned from sources close to the clinic. The hospital management declined to comment.
Mubarak already received treatments in various hospitals in the world. There was talk in the past, way before the current mess, that Hosni Mubarak has cancer and doesn’t have much time to leave. In recent TV appearances, he looked rather healthy, especially considering his age – 82.
Will this bring about a peaceful victory to the Egyptian riots? With powers vested in vice president Omar Suleiman (or Soliman) and the Egyptian army now having control, this could bring down oil prices and send the dollar down. Will EUR/USD jump?
More Egyptian news:
- Rumor – Obama to Egyptian Army: Down With Mubarak – This rumor seems correct, although not all American official speak in one voice. Maybe they were working on this plan to oust him in Germany?
- Shahira Amin Quit Egyptian State TV – Senior Nile TV anchor refuses to broadcast propaganda.
- Civil War in Egypt? – Currently the protests are calming down as local want some normal life.
- Hosni Mubarak Left Egypt? – The first rumor talked about Bahrain, and the second one spoke about Montenegro as a place of exile for Mubarak.
- Egyptian Opposition to Declare Liberated Zone – No confirmation.
- One leader of the Muslim brotherhood wants war with Israel – Mohammed Ghanem wants a war with Egypt’s eastern neighbor. This is the biggest fear regarding the Egyptian crisis.